Hey y’all! I hope you had a fabulous weekend! I didn’t really do much except for running some errands and shopped online at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. By the way, if you haven’t checked out the Nordstrom Anniversary sale, you are definitely missing out because those sales are so good! At first, I thought it was a bunch a hype but when I checked it out for myself, those sales are the truth! Whenever you get some down time, please check it out. Some merchandise has already sold out, but there are still a lot of great items left. You can shop the anniversary sale now until August 30th.
Anyhow, I wanted to share my thoughts and feelings on why I’m strongly considering Becoming A full-time blogger. This was not an all of a sudden decision. I’ve actually been thinking about this for a little over a year and I just haven’t said anything until now. I know becoming a full-time blogger is a lot of hard work and dedication and I’m all for it. There are several friends I have that are blogging full-time and absolutely love it. I can just see it for myself, waking up doing what I love everyday and being my own boss!
Just like everyone else in this country, I’ve had my fair share in working for horrible companies. You know the ones with 1-star rating and the negative reviews on Glassdoor or Indeed with the company believing they are top-notch despite that. Also the ones that are like public door knobs with the high turnover rates hoping you’re not smart enough to do your own research. Let’s be honest, who wants to get up everyday to work for a company under those conditions and working for someone else on top of that. My mental health is the most important thing to me for sure, especially during this current pandemic we are in. I have this strong desire in my soul to do something that I have a passion for and that is blogging.
In case you didn’t know, I’ve been writing since I was 8 years old. Writing has always been like second nature to me and became very therapeutic to some degree. It wasn’t until I was an adult I started writing more about fashion and beauty. If I decide to go full-time blogging, it would be great because not only that I would be working for myself, but I get to write about something I love which is fashion!
There are a few things to keep in mind when deciding to become a full-time blogger. I was given this knowledge from a few of my good friends that are already experienced in the field, which I would like to share in case you’re thinking about it:
- Make sure you plan and save up money. Research a plan of how long you want to save up money in order to support your income. Ideally, I was told 3 to 6 months just as a backup. It would be considered a big lifestyle change going from working for a company to working for yourself.
- When working as a full-time blogger, there is no such thing as a PTO (Paid Time Off) or sick days. Once you make an agreement with that brand for a campaign, you have an obligation to meet that deadline. Even when there are days where you’re not up to it or feeling under the weather, it’s literally your job and if you don’t complete it you don’t get paid.
- It doesn’t come with benefits like health insurance, retirement plan or life insurance. Sure you can definitely have all these benefits, but you have to pay out of pocket for everything. Healthcare is very expensive in this country, but in reality it’s the most important thing to have. Retirement and life insurance have plans that fit anyone’s budget. Researching is always a good idea.
- Make sure to take on a work load you can handle. Sometimes many brands will reach out to you for numerous campaigns and projects to complete by a particular deadline. It’s best to determine what is manageable for you.
- My favorite one of all, enjoy what you love! My friends have expressed how happy they are in their dream job of becoming full-time and wouldn’t trade it for anything. In fact, they are bringing in way more income than when they were employed full-time with their 9-5 jobs.
Now I know this is something that isn’t going to happen overnight because this would be big career jump for me. It would take a lot of planning and reseaching but I’m here for it. If I give it a try and doesn’t work out for me, at least I still have my Psychology degree to fall back on for support. Again this is not something I decided as of yet, but I’m only expressing my feelings and thoughts. I will definitely keep you guys updated.
Have you ever thought about becoming a full-time blogger? or are you already blogging full-time? If so how are you liking it? I want to know so definitely comment below.
SHOP THE POST: